Search

More From This Region

Cities:

Church of Mary Magdalene

​This Russian Orthodox church situated on the Mount of Olives was built in 1895 by Czar Alexander III in memory of his mother Maria Alexandrovna

On this Page:

Visitors entering the large green gate of the Russian Orthodox Church of Mary Magdalene near the foot of the Mount of Olives feel they are not only stepping back in time, but entering another country. Many Jerusalem churches give this feeling, and for good reason: they are the legacy of the nineteenth century, when the crowned heads of Europe all graced the Holy City with grand buildings in the styles of their own country.

The church reflects much Russian history – it was built in 1895 by Czar Alexander III in memory of his mother Maria Alexandrovna, and named for her patron saint, Mary Magdalene. With its seven magnificent onion-topped, glinting gold domes in the style of Moscow’s sixteenth-century churches, this is one of the city’s best-known sacred landmarks.

The most impressive aspects of the visit are the blooming gardens and the breathtaking view of the Golden Gate, framed by cypress and olive trees.


Sites & Attractions

The Room of the Last Supper – The Coenaculum. According to Christian tradition, already...
Catholic church of the Benedictine Fathers, built between the years 1900-1910. Accordin...
The Church of the Holy Sepulcher. According to Christian tradition, the Church of the H...
Interactive museum designed to bring the world of science and technology closer to chil...
Spring in Nakhal Refa'im, with adjoining Ein Yael Museum, an active museum that holds i...
System of underground tunnels constituting a continuous chain of history from the times...

Accommodations

Luxury hotel opposite David's Citadel, the Dormition Church and the walls of the Old Ci...
The Crowne Plaza Jerusalem hotel is the tallest building in the city and an impressive ...
Located in a magical setting overlooking the old city walls, in the heart of the centra...
Intimate hotel part of which was built in 1948. Breakfast is served in the hotel dining...
Christian Sites