The Holy Trinity Cathedral rises from the midst of busy downtown Jerusalem, one block east of Jaffa Road, where gilded crosses on the eight towers atop its copper-domed roof are a longtime city landmark.
The church, consecrated in 1872, and the surrounding buildings were built in the era when the Russian Orthodox Church sent more pilgrims to the Holy Land than any other denomination.
The location for the compound, which offered accommodations for 2,000 pilgrims, was chosen because of its proximity to the Old City and the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.
Eventually, as Russian influence declined, the buildings were converted for other uses; they now house the Jerusalem police station, among other institutions.
The recently restored church welcomes visitors every morning (except Mondays) until 1:00 P.M. The whole surface of its interior main hall and dome and two aisles is painted an inspiring celestial blue with salmon accents and numerous depictions of saints.